Sunday, July 09, 2006



MAYC actually rocks!!!

I've just got back from Breakout weekend, (national Methodist youth event for those outside the small fortress that is Methodism!!!) I, with a few others, took a group from our circuit, who were, can i say...all absolute gems!!! and to be honest, apart from me agreeing with them that the green and yellow and the oggies, although MAYC heritage are a little too dated and are as good a cheesy Christian stereotype as you'd find on Neighbours, the event, titled 'Passion' went really well! I was loosely involved in the prayer stuff that was happening, but got to go really as a punter for the 1st time in about 6 years!

The young people we took seemed to really enjoy themselves, and I hope got a lot out of it. It's really difficult to tell as i'm not there all the time, but we leadery types managed to have a good heads together about what we can feasably do for the lot that we took, as we are by far the only ones under the age of 40 who are willing and able to do anything with them!

Now I'm by no means a youth worker, I can talk to them, but when it comes down to anything more than that I'd rather that someone who had a specific passion and gift for that age group was hired...but in the mean time...we'll do our best! But what struck me more than anything...was that we were in accomodation with at least 3 or 4 other groups, most of which had leaders in their late 40's at the youngest. Now don't shoot me for being ageist...but these leaders had no control over these guys, we ended up being the disciplinarians for those not even in our group....lads lying across hallways in sleeping bags so that the girls couldn't get to the toilet and the like! And those leaders were more bothered about the fact that they'd been woken up, rather than the welfare of the youths they had brought.

It just struck home to me the extent to which we have to put our youth 1st, in particular in that context. If we don't nurture, teach, discipline, guide and love them, then how will they ever understand the concept of God's nuturing, teaching, disciplining and guiding love???
I know that I am always the 'bad cop' when it comes to disciplining, but I found this weekend that that doesn't have to mean that they hate me!! I always assumed it would, but reasoned discipline seems more to provoke an understanding by those young people that sometimes it's good that they are challenged and that their ideas aren't always complete, and ultimately, I found that we developed more of a mutual respect.

I also spent the weekend telling everyone about my research...so here's hoping and praying that the money issue begins to get resolved!!

Bless u all,
R x

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roo - you are a disciplinarian - you can't help it, it's the ex-teacher in you!

I'm always scared of you!

Love ya really xM

Anonymous said...

Roo - you are a disciplinarian - you can't help it, it's the ex-teacher in you!

I'm always scared of you!

Love ya really xM

Anonymous said...

Hey there Ruth, Just a quick comment to say nice to see you again at Breakout. Hope you had a good time and all the best with your research.
Best wishes,


Phil